Monday, May 25, 2009

Sunday Dinner: Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Having lived most of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area, I was not at all equipped for the extreme heat that comes with living in Nevada.  Okay, maybe yesterday's temperatures never broke into the nineties but even upper eighties can be a struggle for this girl.  And when it gets warm like that, the last thing on my mind is turning on my oven.  Instead, I'd rather turn on some Abba, crank up the slow cooker and pretend it's 1975.  And that's exactly what I did yesterday.

On the menu:   Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Cole Slaw, Kettle Chips, Watermelon Wedges and a little Mad Housewife Chardonnay

Slow Cooked Pulled Pork
5-7 lbs  Pork Shoulder, cut into 4 pieces
1  Onion, sliced thin
1/2 c  Ketchup
1/3 c Cider Vinegar
1/4 c  Tomato Paste
1/4 c  Brown Sugar, packed
2 T  Paprika
2T  Brown Mustard
2T  Worcestershire Sauce
Salt/Pepper

Season pork shoulder with salt and pepper.  I also rubbed in a little garlic powder.  Place sliced onions at the bottom of the slow cooker.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.  Place pork in cooker and coat each piece with sauce.  Cook on high for 4 - 5 hours.

When meat is tender, remove from cooker and place on a large platter.  Shred pork using two forks.  Meanwhile, reduce remaining sauce by about half (either by boiling in the slow cooker or as I prefer, in a large saucepan on the stove.  When pork is all shredded, mix with remaining sauce reduction.

Serve on Ciabatta rolls with cole slaw, kettle chips and dill pickle spear.

Makes about 10 sandwiches.


No comments: